Thursday, November 29, 2007

Infrequent Posting


I have hardly had a moment to even think about posting - and as posting about nothing would be exceedingly dull, perhaps a ten day - or even two week gap is a good thing. The other thing is that everytime I feel like posting, I have to write one of my columns for the newspaper, and that somewhat dulls the enthusiasm. The parish has had a tough week or so, - the death of an eighteen year old, killed in a head-on collision with a drunk driver. Very faith-filled family - very full Church for the funeral - but, as any of my priest readers will know, that kind of pastoral work is both distressing and amazingly draining. That funeral was swiftly followed by another one - then the visit of the Bishop to bless our new reredos. I am also organizing our next speaker for our Clergy Continuing Education - the world famous Father George Rutler will be coming in two weeks to give a day of recollection. During the last week, my good friend Father Stephen De Kerdrel visited from the Mull of Kyntyre in Scotland (picture above). He is a hermit, and we have known each other for 26 years, having studied together and been in the Capuchins. It was very nice to have a visitor from home - to talk about old friends - of course, now that he has departed, it makes me somewhat homesick and the house feels particularly empty. So far, I have not received many invitations into the homes of the parishioners, but given the silly schedule, I probably couldn't go anyway! There are all sorts of good things happening - I am very encouraged by the strong desire for adult education - more than 50 people every Thursday night for the RCIA - but plenty of 'challenges' - not to be described to protect the innocent! Talking with Father Stephen, it was good to hear that everything we might think of as unique to Vermont in the Church is happening at home - good and bad - and the encouragement of a man who spends six hours a day in prayer and has battled incredible trials over the last 7 years - helps one to keep going - especially with his profound historical understanding of the current battle in the Church between the dying forces of a decayed liberalism, as Cardinal George, the new President of the US Bishops recently said - and the truth of orthodoxy. More encouragement was given by the new Papal MC - and the Pope's recent words on music and the liturgy. Father Stephen drew my attention to the words of Archbishop Ranjiith, soon to be the new head of the Congregation for Divine Worship and a key BXVII appointment, about the "rebellion" of some bishops. Father Stephen believes that the schism is very near - possibly within the next year or two. Now, more than ever, reading some good Church history is essential.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

A ten day gap between posts is just about right Father!

gemoftheocean said...

Fr., just write when you have the time. Most of us, I think, would assume that in any place where one priest is covering two parishes, the priest would be burning the candle at both ends. Some weeks more so than others. You must be doing good work there to have quite a large number in RCIA, for a relatively small population.

As for what your visiting priest friend said, I think he takes too pessimistic a view. It seems to me that the "Standard operating procedure" is for the church to be in a constant crisis mode over one thing or another regards preserving and handing on the true faith. When has the church been a "peace" for any great length of time. I don't believe there ever was such a time. Human nature hasn't changed since Adam and Eve were created. Never let go of the notion that "The gates of hell will not prevail against it." Has there ever been a time where it wasn't tough to be a believing Catholic?

I do hope you had a chance to have a nice Thanksgiving day.

Oh, and did you write "Benedict XVII" just to see if we were paying attention? :-D

the owl of the remove said...

I didn't! But as my friends call me "BVII" perhaps I was making a prediction!