Sunday, May 20, 2007

Tagged for Mary

I've been tagged, by Mulier Fortis, on favourite things to do with Our Lady. I'm in a bit of a rush, but here goes:

1. Favourite Image of Our Lady: Since I have been here in the Colonies, the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe has become very important to me, Her powerful influence as Empress of the Americas cannot be over-estimated. Just watch Mel Gibson's movie 'Apocalypto' to see why She appeared - as Pope Benedict said last week, upsetting that demagogue Hugo Chavez, the native religions were not all happy innocents, dancing around the campfire. I'm also very fond of the statue of Our Lady of Canterbury in the Undercroft of Canterbury Cathedral. A Saxon Madonna, it was sculpted by Mother Concordia of Minster Abbey, who I've known for many years.

2. Favourite Marian Feast: Any feast celebrating Our Lady's powerful intercession defeating the massed hordes of Mohammedan infidels - so probably Our Lady of the Rosary, for Lepanto.

3. Favourite Marian hymn/anthem: I miss so many of the great old hymns to Our Lady, which seem to be unknown over here - so "Hail Queen of Heaven, the Ocean Star" or the Salve.

4. Place of Pilgrimage: I've never been to Lourdes or Fatima. I once stayed with a friend who lived near Lourdes, but he was an atheist, so he wasn't really interested in pilgrimages, except to the wine cellar. I would have to say I really loved my one visit to the Holy House in Loreto - a real shrine of the Incarnation. Walsingham is also very special.

5. Marian Devotion: The Litany of Loreto.

I tag the Hermeneutic of Continuity, Roman Miscellany and the Roving Medievalist, because he will show some lovely pictures!

No comments: