Saturday, May 5, 2007

Welcome, friends!

Well, this is all very exciting! I sent a simple question to Fr. Tim Finigan - and some interesting people have actually found this blog! Thank you for all your kind help. Of course, it means I have to start writing something on a regular basis and I'm feeling incredibly dull at the moment - I even thought about mentioning the weather, how English can you get!! It's not -20F anymore, but it's still around 32C at night - but the sun has come out. A number of Vermonters suffer from what is called 'SAD' - that's not a gathering of experts on the music of Marty Haughen and David Haas - it's 'Seasonal Affective Disorder' - basically, it means the dreadful winters here drive you barmy. The only alternative is to take to the drink, which is another disorder. The Bishop is coming tomorrow for First Holy Communion, there are eleven children in my little parish. They used to "perform" at the Mass, singing, doing the collection etc... Now they focus on what they are meant to focus on: receiving the Lord Jesus for the first time. I also introduced last year kneeling and receiving on the tongue - it went down a treat, because the parents can all get better pictures, but it sows seeds.... Someone asked, "why 'Owl of the Remove' for a blog title"? Two words - Billy Bunter. I'm not actually always in search of tuck - or grotesquely overweight, more 'pleasingly rounded', but it amused me and as, up until yesterday, I was the only reader of my blog, my "in-joke" was truly an in-joke. There will more personal history etc as time goes by, but I have to rush off to the local supermarket and get the vino in for the Bishop's visit - he's Italian, from Rhode Island, and he must be kept happy - otherwise I may sleep with the fish. Ciao!

3 comments:

Mulier Fortis said...

Ooooh, you get the Bishop for First Communions? We get one for Confirmation...

We had the first batch (of three) of First Communicants this morning. They were so sweet and reverent, it's a real pleasure to assist at the Mass (shame their parents were less reverent!)

the owl of the remove said...

He's actually coming to our deanery for Confirmation on Tuesday - he likes getting around the parishes - they don't do visitations here like they do in England - thanks for revealing me to the blogosphere!

Ttony said...

One thing you'll have to tell us is how you ended up where you are. When I read "obscure north-eastern diocese" I thought you meant Hexham and Newcastle, or Middlesborough!